The Council's sanctioning body committee met in October to develop unified specifications for all Council members, including the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, Lucas Oil MLRA, World of Outlaws, Ultimate Late Model Series, Southern Nationals Series, DIRTcar Racing and Eldora Speedway. All dirt late model sanctions will be encouraged to adopt the specifications effective January 1, 2017.
B. Fire Suppression
• All racecars must be equipped with a thermally deployed automatic fire suppression system. The fire suppression system will consist of a DOT approved cylinder manufactured from aluminum or steel with a capacity of ten (10) lbs. of fire extinguishing agent, steel or steel reinforced lines, and two (2) thermally activated discharge nozzles.
• All systems must meet or exceed SFI 17.1 specifications.
• Systems must be fully charged with ten (10) lbs. of DuPont FE-36, 3M NOVEC 1230, or Fire Aide and display a legible and valid SFI and manufacturer label depicting fire extinguishing agent, capacity, and certification date. Cylinders that or beyond useful certification date must be inspected, serviced and re-labeled by the manufacturer.
• Cylinders must be mounted forward of the fuel cell. Cylinders must be securely mounted to the frame/roll cage assembly. The certification label must be unobstructed and easily accessible for inspection when the mounting is complete.
• The cylinder must be connected to the nozzles with steel or steel reinforced lines.
• Two (2) thermally activated nozzles must be used. One (1) nozzle must be located directly above the fuel cell in the fuel cell area and the second nozzle must be located in the driver cockpit area.
• An optional manual override cable may be added to the system.
As agreed by the Unified Late Model Council - November 5, 2016 rev.3